Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience in an engineering lab environment.
- Experience with operating bench test equipment (i.e. oscilloscopes, power supplies, power analyzers, AC power sources, DC electronic loads) for electrical validation or troubleshooting.
About the job
Experience working in a UNIX or Linux environment.
- Experience with testing and validation working with one of the following: DC-DC converters, AC power supplies, AC-DC rectifiers.
- Experience in bench level hardware validation using complex test equipment.
- Experience testing on DC-DC converters for server, storage, and network switches.
- Experience developing and writing scripts in shell or Python for hardware validation and testing.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
With your technical expertise, you create test plans for highly complex platforms (e.g., validating the interaction of multiple pieces of equipment at the networking and subsystem levels), and using your deep knowledge of component design characteristics, you diagnose highly complex hardware or software issues.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Perform electrical characterization on printed circuit board, board level DC-DC and prototype power circuits utilizing signal, impedance, and power analyzers.
- Work with minimal guidance to troubleshoot electrical component level defects and design issues. Support design engineers with debug, component validation, and failure analysis while working closely with hardware designers and software diagnostics development teams.
- Develop test procedures for general qualification and targeted testing of Device Under Test (DUT) using automated/scripted tests. Utilize Python scripting to expedite test execution, data collection, manipulation, and reporting of hardware test results.
- Launch and monitor scripts to control custom hardware with automated testing. Drive solutions for efficiency and efficacy in test execution.
- Collect and analyze aggregated data to enable engineering decisions during hardware research and development. Report findings, reduce test data, and investigate test outcomes.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.