Applications will be accepted through July 10, 2021.
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location for this position from the following: Sunnyvale, CA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of professional experience in engineering with experience with technical innovation and leading engineering teams.
- Experience leading Developer framework or Developer tools engineering teams across multiple locations.
- Experience scaling an organization across multiple sites, mentoring and developing managers.
About the job
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to influence decisions across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to manage large teams.
- High emotional intelligence and ability to inspire and motivate the engineering team to work together as a cohesive team in an inclusive environment.
- Bias for action and sense of urgency in driving execution.
- Passion for delivering high quality infrastructure and display a complete sense of ownership for delivery of the infrastructure product.
As the Engineering Director for Core Developer Web, you will lead a team of engineers and engineering managers. In this role, you will be responsible for defining, setting the strategic direction for, and delivering the standard Web frameworks and supporting web technologies that the majority of Google’s internal and externally facing web properties run on. You will also be responsible for caretaking of the Angular open source project as well as managing the active participation in open source web technology projects where Google is a participant.
You will work closely with your cross-functional partners in Product Management and User Experience to develop a long term plan that best serves the needs of the Web Developer domain and related ecosystem. You will be responsible for ensuring that we have fewer, higher-quality, tech stacks with clear roadmaps and well lit-paths that lead to best practices.
You will forge a close partnership with our internal customers, developing a deep understanding of their business, working with both their business decision makers and technical leads to best understand their needs. You will be responsible for understanding the challenges and requirements our customers face today as well as foreseeing and planning for the future needs of our web based applications, anticipating newly emerging business and technical challenges, as well as defining and adopting new industry web standards.
The Core team builds the technical foundation behind Google’s flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Google. These are the essential building blocks for excellent, safe, and coherent experiences for our users and drive the pace of innovation for every developer. We look across Google’s products to build central solutions, break down technical barriers and strengthen existing systems. As the Core team, we have a mandate and a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company.
- Lead a product engineering team that focuses on customer success, and builds deep partnerships with our cross-functional teams (e.g. Product Management, User Experience, Customer Engagement), our internal and external customers and strategic partner teams across Google engineering.
- Work with both decision makers and technical leaders across all of Google to formulate a strategic plan for building web frameworks and tools that optimize for developer productivity and economies of scale to support the needs of web development at Google scale.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership for the cross-site organization in an innovative and fast paced environment. Be responsible for the overall planning, execution, and success of the projects.
- Build a sustainable, highly scalable, and independent organization based on principled engineering practices, with a deep technical and managerial leadership bench.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.