Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location for this position from the following: Sterling, VA, USA; Leesburg, VA, USA
Experience in maintenance and monitoring of server systems.
- Experience working within a data center or network operation center environment.
- Experience with operating systems and networking protocols.
About the job
Experience working with and troubleshooting hardware or network related issues using Linux-based tools.
- Experience with light coding or scripting.
- Experience in project management and leadership.
- Ability to collaborate and partner with people and teams to overcome challenges.
- Ability to manage competing and changing priorities.
Google isn't just a software company. The Hardware Operations team is responsible for monitoring the state-of-the-art physical infrastructure behind Google's powerful search technology. As an Operations Technician, you'll install, configure, test, troubleshoot and maintain hardware (like servers and its components) and server software (like Google's Linux cluster). You'll also take on the configuration of more complex components such as networks, routers, hubs, bridges, switches and networking protocols. You'll participate in or lead small project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans. A typical day involves manual movement and installation of racks, and while it can sometimes be physically demanding, you are excited to work with infrastructure that is at the cutting-edge of computer technology.
As a Data Center Technician, you'll deploy and maintain Google's advanced Data Center Server and Network Infrastructure by installing, configuring, testing, troubleshooting, and repairing hardware and server software. You'll also help with the configuration of complex components such as networks, routers, bridges, and switches. You will participate in or lead local project teams on larger installations and develop project contingency plans.
In this role, you will have duties that range from the physical deployment of data center-related technology to working closely with various stakeholders. You will ensure our goals, missions, and projects are successfully delivered and that they are repeatable across our global data centers.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Contribute to and lead efforts and projects in the deployment, maintenance, and support of current and new data center infrastructure.
- Participate in or lead complex troubleshooting and resolve critical or escalated technical issues.
- Test and troubleshoot new server hardware components and designs.
- Configure and troubleshoot Linux OS-related issues on servers.
- Deploy and maintain Google's advanced Data Center Server and Network Infrastructure.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.