Associate's degree, trade school certification or other verifiable training in a technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with the electrical, mechanical, and controls systems used in a data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers, Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units, Chillers, Air handling units, and CRAC units.
About the job
5 years of direct controls or automation experience, including 2 years of experience in a programming language in building automation systems or power monitoring systems.
- Experience in the administration of Linux and Windows servers, Windows Domains, and server disaster recovery.
- Mission critical plant experience.
- Fundamental working knowledge of meters, devices, sensors, and troubleshooting utilizing standard hand tools, digital metering or calibration equipment and diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with contractors who perform maintenance or upgrade work on these systems.
- Ability to learn quickly and address issues as they arise.
The Data Center team designs and operates some of the most sophisticated electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and HVAC systems in the world. Facilities Technicians at Google data centers operate, monitor and support physical facilities conditions. Some of these duties will include heating and cooling of air and water, power supply, generators, UPS systems, electrical distribution and control and monitoring systems. You regularly help inspect, maintain and repair various data center systems such as piping and non-critical electrical or mechanical system components). You provide daily assistance to senior technicians as you read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems and assess their working order.
As an advocate for best practices, you develop creative approaches to reducing operational costs while improving overall data center efficiency. You ensure that environmental and safety standards are consistently met, identifying problems and making repairs quickly. In emergency situations or abnormal conditions, you manage data center performance issues and outages to minimize the recovery time from failures.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible.
- Inspect, maintain, and repair various data center systems such as piping and non-critical electrical or mechanical system components. Provide daily assistance to technicians as you read blueprints/schematics, conduct tours of systems, and assess their working order.
- Be responsible for the uptime and maintenance of water pumps and treatment systems, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), generators, electrical distribution and Control and Monitoring Systems.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions in the data center facilities systems and equipment. Provide tracking and trending operational characteristics.
- Support startup, commissioning, and integration of equipment and systems into facilities infrastructure.
- Demonstrate the ability to follow the site’s environmental health and safety policies. Develop creative approaches to reducing operational costs, while improving efficiencies.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.