There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
As a Senior Buyer Capex Purchasing, you will be responsible for purchase of all or a specific portion of productive and/or non-productive materials, supplies, machinery, tooling and/or services. Responsible for actively participating in development of commodity strategy, sourcing/negotiations, global/regional material budget execution, and interface with suppliers or internal stakeholders. Work is of a complex nature involving a considerable amount of initiative, analytical work and a high level of independent judgment.
Additional Job Description
- This role will lead the procurement of General Assembly tools and systems in support of General Motors’ North American assembly sites.
- You will be responsible for development of commodity strategies in alignment with GM Engineering objectives.
- You will lead all sourcing activities, ensuring timely project completion at best total enterprise cost. You will be required to collaborate with various stakeholders to gather project requirements and gain visibility into all future sourcing activities, (pipeline management).
- You will be required to demonstrate your commodity strategy to leadership and your stakeholders on a continual basis, (respectfully speak up, collaborate cross-functionally, anticipate what lies ahead, etc.)
- Work is of a complex nature involving a considerable amount of initiative, strategic thinking, analytical acumen, and a high level of independent judgment.
- Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of experience
- Masters degree in Business, Engineering etc preferred
- Self-starter with ability to motivate others to accomplish project objectives
- Ability to forge relationships with GM stakeholders, (speak up, boldly share ideas, etc.)
- Ability to innovate (see things as they could be) and to respectfully challenge established practices
- Knowledge of current industry trends, (automotive OEM and supply base)
- Strong, demonstrable project management skills (ensure timely completion of numerous concurrent projects, prolific powerful communicator, oversee change process, etc.)
- Demonstrated competence in negotiating skills, (ability to discern underlying cost, knowledge of supplier cost structure, competitor landscape, etc.)
- Technical acumen - ability to understand blueprints and complex statements of requirements
- Relentless focus on cost containment (From initial project estimation, through Supplier final invoice)
- Demonstrated proficiency in establishing, measuring, and implementing supplier performance metrics, (Scorecards, Key Performance Indicators, etc.)
- Ability to work effectively cross functionally, both internally and externally to meet critical project deliverables
- Ability to support regional purchasing staff with benchmark data, sourcing best practices, etc.
- Familiarity with GM manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of GM purchasing processes, (SAP knowledge a plus)
- Understanding of basic financial reporting (Income Statements, Balance Sheets, Annual Reports, Cost Drivers, etc.)
- Professional interpersonal verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft office products - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Power BI, etc.
- High level of analytical ability where problems can be somewhat complex
- Ability to utilize data to convey complex ideas
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.