There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
At this level you are expected to operate with a high level of independent discernment and are typically responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management.
As a fully-qualified individual contributor who has thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the function, you will provide expert judgment and analysis for the design, development and implementation of technical products and systems.
Resolve highly complex technical issues and conducts advanced research.
Recommend alterations to development and design to improve quality of products and/or procedures.
Skilled and proficient with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
Rely mostly on extensive personal experience and discernment to plan and accomplish goals.
You will perform multiple tasks. Lead and likely direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Key deliverables include the following:
- BOM Row Safety and Compliance
- Support all field action analysis and product safety activity for free standing seats
- Engage in product safety processes including individual case evaluations.
- Author or co-author Preventative Action Letters (PAL) at the completion of an investigation.
- Read-across of identified concerns into past and current product platforms as defined in the *S PRTS process
- BOM Row Strategy
- Support the GSSLT for the design development and integration of global seating electrical control units and wire harness ASM into the vehicle electrical system
- Support Strategy Development and approval of the BOM row strategy through the BOM Strategy Executive Team (BSET) including core variant maps for free standing seats, and deploy for engineering team utilization in applications around the globe.
- Develop overarching complexity and contenting strategies for the BOM row including implementing it with the design release engineering teams use in seating systems for vehicle applications in multiple regions.
- Lead develop, and maintain benchmarking analysis and consumer data research, JDP, and Compass data compiling and summarizing results to drive data-driven solutions used as an input for BOM row strategy.
- BOM Row Knowledge
- Support development of BOM row for technical requirements including SSTS, CTS and GMW development.
- Lead the development of a BOM row Core DFMEA and maintain the document for application into program development.
- Develop core best practices (BP), design check-sheets, key characteristics (KCDS), interface control documents (ICDm & ICDe / RTTC ) and knowledge for product technical execution as best practices; documenting them through GM systems and tools to apply into vehicle programs.
- Support the overall seating team with issues related to Lumbar and Cushion Systems
- Coordinate integration and tradeoffs between key vehicle systems and seat sub-systems / components to optimize the overall enterprise cost and product performance.
- Support preparation and execution of Design Reviews and Peer Reviews for BOM row core and application.
- Develop and maintain business cases to document and explain financial implications BOM row decisions.
- Develop and maintain UPC / FNA for BOM row application.
- Support Seat Integration Team and JIT Teams as needed
- Lead core template DES
Additional Job Description
- BOM Row Product Application and technology advancement
- Support Creativity team in product sourcing technical reviews, supplier capability reviews and supplier technology reviews.
- Functionally lead the development/maturity of the seat Lumbar Systems / Cushion System CTS
- Understand and ensure all requirements are understood and incorporated into ECUs & modules (including but not limited to electrical environment & durability, EMC, software, system safety, cybersecurity, communication)
- Support AVD in alignment of BOM Strategy and Architectural setups from PFI -> DSI -> ESO -> IDR -> VDR
- Support the application DRE & VSE in early program development for application and adherence of BOM strategy into a program architecture and DDR preparation.
- Support he DRE & VSE on BOM row picking, content and complexity per GVDP Deliverables.
- Support DRE application of BFO developed Core knowledge documents into engineering statements of work (eSOR). Execute as Approver of final completed documents.
- Support Tactical planning and value stream mapping of core execution and application execution for BOM row linked to broader seat development.
- Support DRE application in development in problem solving and application of knowledge across the BOM rows.
- Ownership and advancement of advanced technology work within the BOM Row.
- Provide technical leadership for overall seat performance and associated tradeoffs for comfort, crash worthiness, cost and mass of the JIT seating systems within the scope of Lumbar & Cushion Suspensions Systems and integration.
- Collaborate/coach global DRE seat engineers on technical correctness of Lumbar systems
- Functionally lead the development of Lumbar systems core DFMEAs for JIT systems
- Functionally lead the evolution of the Lumbar systems portion of Seating SSTS/CTS
- 5+ years of post-graduation engineering experience required; 8+ years strongly preferred Knowledge of and experience with GM engineering processes.
- Seat to vehicle environment packaging and engineering
- Seat internal packaging, and engineering
- Experience in Lumbar and cushion suspension systems and sub-system development with demonstrated level success.
- Demonstrated sub system expertise in electronic modules & wire harness routing
- Understanding of electrical system requirements and trade offs
- Automotive seating experience and automotive seat component design and development
- Experience seat assembly plant and vehicle assembly plant activities / processes during a launch event.
- Product cost knowledge including cost drivers for manufacturing and design inputs.
- Experience with complexity impacts on manufacturing environments and cost drivers / calculations of costs driven by complexity.
- Ability to develop and analyze consumer research, competitive analysis and financial data.
- Knowledge of seating global regulatory environment and industry seating requirements.
- Experience working with automotive OEMs and Seat suppliers
- Experience in competitive research, consumer research and OEM preferences
- Ability to data-mine internet for OEM and consumer research data
- Ability to develop and present complex subjects to peer groups as well as executive teams utilizing data-driven analysis and strong presentation skills.
- DFSS Black Belt and/or Red X problem solving skills.
- Experience with DFMEAs, PFMEAs, Design For Six Sigma/Evidence Based Decision Making, Red X, DOORs, Rational Team Concert, Environmental Durability and Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing, ASIL, Cybersecurity, Software Validation, NeoVi/Vehicle Spy preferred, Local Interconnect Network (LIN) communications
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.