There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Do you imagine a world of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion? We do. We place our customers at the center of everything we do and we are creating vehicles that move humanity to that goal. The capability of our infotainment systems is the core connection between the vehicle and the traveler. We are advancing the sophistication of vehicle infotainment systems at every level of functionality and design to develop beautiful intuitive systems that augment driver awareness, enhance occupant safety, and elevate the traveler experience.
We are building an Infotainment platform software team which is tasked with two critical roles: co-developing, along with the supplier, the software that will run GM’s next generation infotainment system and developing the talent and tools necessary to allow GM to take ownership of the resulting software stack. This team is solely responsible for developing and maintaining GM’s entire infotainment software platform. That's a lot to handle! So we are looking for someone who can lead, inspire and continue to build GM’s team of talented and engaged Software professionals to develop, document, and support our next generation infotainment products and tools while meeting cost, schedule, and technical requirements, as well as department and company goals in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities
The primary job responsibilities include:
Additional Job Description
- Lead Program Management team that focuses on successful delivery of Infotainment SW with metrics on schedule, scope and quality
- Personally, and through delegates: define, scope, cost, plan and manage quality of embedded Infotainment software while accommodating design and schedule flexibility.
- Anticipate technical, schedule and cost risks and implement mitigation actions to minimize impact.
- Hire, mentor, develop, and retain a competent and engaged software engineering staff to meet personal, professional, and corporate objectives.
- Responsible for defining and meeting quality goals for each deliverable.
- Develop employee tailored work assignments that are challenging and result in on-time completion of team deliverables
- Collaborate and direct third-party software designs and development work to align with overall project objectives and timing
- Follow GM software development process where quality comes first and ensure that the designed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability, and security.
- Foster and maintain a positive and collaborative work environment to motivate staff while driving process improvement and innovative solutions
- Identifying and removing obstacles that prevent staff from accomplishing goals.
- Ensuring staff has the proper equipment, tools, training, and resources to accomplish assigned tasks within defined processes and procedures, while adhering to appropriate budgets
- Understanding department capacity and capabilities, develop metrics and reporting mechanisms to manage organizational performance
- Identify longer-term staffing/technical skill needs and work collaboratively with leadership to plan staffing levels in line with needs
- Ensure efforts undertaken in Software Engineering are necessary and sufficient to meet the associated objectives
- Collaborate with team in China
- Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in an automotive or embedded product development organization that includes:
- Minimum of 7 years of experience developing or leading development of complex, real time, embedded software in an object-oriented environment.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing SW programs in an automotive or embedded product environment
- Solid experience of taking part in process definition, and institutionalization within team. In depth experience with Scrum/Agile software development process.
- Extensive experience on system integration:
- SW Integration on complex system crossing multiple OS delivered by multiple teams and suppliers
- Hardware bring up with good knowledge on boot loaders, kernel, hardware configurations and OS
- Quality control of integration including handling verification, identifying critical issues and leading conflict and problem resolving crossing teams
- Product development or execution experience (application or framework) based on Android platform is required
- Significant experience in all aspects of the development process, from up front requirement analysis, systems design experience to backend integration.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Confirmed, key leadership traits and skills: collaborative work style, integrity, creativity, objectivity, assertiveness, effectiveness, responsibility, honesty, reliability, strong business acumen.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Development experience on multi-disciplinary teams in the infotainment, consumer electronics, or related software industries.
- A passion for innovation and raising the bar in teams, technology, and projects.
- An analytical mind that thrives in a data-driven environment.
- Strong experience and expertise in Android native and Java framework, especially around application framework and/or multimedia/graphics stack
- Operating systems experience with one or more of the following: QNX, Linux, Android.
- Demonstrated understanding of a wide range of software technologies, including rendering, simulation, relational database, web, mobile, and user interface development.
- Master’s degree in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering or related field.
- Prior experience with vehicle infotainment systems, CAN, Automotive Ethernet and A2B network
- Experience with automotive and/or portable consumer electronic devices
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.