There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Synopsis of GM-Orion
For us the future is now! We are an assembly plant at the cutting edge of product and manufacturing processes. We strive for excellence in developing and sustaining the manufacturing enablers to quickly bring to market the most advanced and innovative automotive products to date. The Orion Assembly Plant manufactures the Bolt EV, Bolt EUV (both are all-electric vehicles), and the Cruise Autonomous Vehicle, a self-driving car. These products put us at the forefront of our corporate vision of “Zero crashes, Zero emissions, Zero congestion.” This requires us to employ the most energetic, capable, and innovative talent to ensure we meet the challenges of developing the new manufacturing processes required to assemble such exciting products under the same roof. We develop and execute the enablers to make GM Manufacturing an obvious competitive advantage for our company.
We offer a progressive and inclusive work environment that questions the status-quo daily to strengthen our reputation of being an incubator for new manufacturing processes and automation. We value community outreach and have a strong presence in our neighborhoods.
Due to these challenges and being a multi-faceted business, the selected candidate will have the opportunity to learn new skills as well as influencing the development of manufacturing processes to support this historical and game-changing progression to electric and autonomous vehicles.
GM-Orion is currently seeking a motivated and accomplished Industrial Engineer who will be the subject matter expert in leading continuous improvement strategies for the Orion Assembly Plant.
- Drive Industrial Engineering common business practices and processes
- Maintain accurate direct and indirect labor studies
- Perform annual validations of Standardized Work
- Support necessary in-plant tryouts, process changes, and implementation plans to resolve ergonomic issues
- Support the assembly complex in achieving Safety, People, Quality, Responsiveness, Cost, and Environment goals
- Support/Implement GMS (Global Manufacturing System) strategies
- Evaluate bottleneck areas and support departmental TIP problem resolution
- Provide analysis for special requests, cost studies, etc.
- Implement the IE deliverables to meet new product launch timing and metrics
- Support departmental productivity plan to achieve HPV and Gross Conversion Rate targets including MPH and %VA
- Support training for standardized work development and scrolling
- Support implementation of Lean Material Strategies (LMS) to optimize part presentation
- Lead and Support launch-related initiatives to execute a flawless integration of a new product
- Support Community Outreach activities
Required Education / Training:
- Display a positive and creative attitude. Practice strong work ethics that reflect the mission, philosophy, and goals of GM-Orion.
- Demonstrated high level of analytical ability where the problems are unusual and difficult
- Demonstrated Industrial Engineering skills and work measurement techniques to drive continuous improvement activities
- Evidence of strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Prefer a minimum of 2 years of experience in manufacturing and assembly processes and lean manufacturing knowledge/experience
- Prominent oral and written communication skills
- BS or MS Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and/or equivalent experience
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.