Help us deliver data insights.The Opportunity:
The Economics team at Flexport uses our own data as well as publicly available data, coupled with analytic tools, to derive insights to serve our clients and better run the company.
Flexport is looking for a Ph.D. Economist to analyze questions of market structure, market demand, pricing, and supply. You will bring strong skills in empirical analysis and data manipulation. You must be willing and excited to take on diverse challenges in a fast-paced environment. This is a remarkable chance not only to be part of an exciting company facilitating international trade, but also to tackle real-world problems in industrial organization.
You should have:
- Use Flexport data to answer critical questions for business planning (e.g. elasticity of different types of trade flows with respect to tariffs)
- Conduct original research to address key trade questions, raising Flexport's visibility and furthering the mission to make global trade easy for everybody
- Work cooperatively with non-economists across the organization to provide relevant insight and analysis on trends in trade
- Work as part of a growing group of economists on the Finance team and report to the Chief Economist
- A Ph.D. in economics with published or publishable empirical research in industrial organization
- Work on logistics or transportation questions is a plus, but not mandatory
- Good analytic and data management skills (e.g. SQL, Python)
- Experience in a non-academic role (e.g. private sector, government, or international organization)
- Broad interest in how companies and competition work and a willingness to take on new challenges
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That's why it's our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We're excited about the three big ways we're moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don't be! We're building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That's why it's incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What's freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it's what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That's why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.