Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly's edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers' applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly's customers include many of the world's most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Network Operations Center Engineer
Members of Fastly's Network Operations Center (NOC) team operate and help build the platform that makes up over 100 Tbps of connected global capacity spanning across nearly 100 points of presence. The NOC team is responsible for an extensive global network that serves a significant proportion of the content delivered to internet consumers across the planet, with customers ranging from online media streaming services, to e-commerce, to open source projects, nonprofits and more. We take this responsibility seriously!
We're looking to add a Network Operations Engineer to our front-line team who is excited to take the next step in their career growth and help manage and operate a global network at scale. This is the perfect starting point for someone who is comfortable working directly with customers, has a background in network or system administration, and has the curiosity, drive, and desire to work on a critical platform that directly contributes to making the internet better. Your success in this role opens an exciting career path at one of the fastest growing networks in the world, positioning you for expansive opportunities in network or site reliability engineering, devops, and big infrastructure.
We want folks to bring their growing expertise and opinions to help craft the future of Fastly's network.
What you'll do:
What you possess:
- Be part of our growing front-line Network Operations Center team in the USA.
- In partnership with your globally distributed team, operate and maintain the health of a continually growing network and platform footprint.
- Monitor customer and network telemetry, proactively communicating with customers to identify and drive problem resolution.
- Drive investigation and resolution of escalated customer support tickets.
- Continual engagement with partner teams mutually responsible for performance and availability of Fastly's platform.
- Partner in the development and iteration of tools and automation systems that scale the team's capabilities.
- Engage with strategic customers directly in support of major significant events.
- Participate in a follow-the-sun on-call rotation shared with a globally distributed team.
- At least 2-3 years experience operating, building, and/or crafting networks or systems with an understanding of how CDNs function, their purpose, and their position in the global internet.
- Solid IP routing knowledge rooted in BGP and TCP anycast fundamentals.
- General understanding of DNS and HTTP(S) services.
- Great track record of customer service, with excellent real-time oral and written communication skills.
- Experience using Cloud, CDN, and/or DNS providers as a customer or client. Additional experience with global transit providers, peers, and regional carriers is also beneficial.
- Linux system and hardware administration experience; comfort with package management, and the ability to troubleshoot the network stack.
- General familiarity with CI/CD workflows and tools.
- Validated scripting abilities in a common language such as BASH, Python, etc.
- Broad industry awareness, curiosity, and an insatiable appetite to learn.
- Team player who is supportive of your peers with a high degree of collaboration.
Fastly is proud to deliver a strong total rewards program to our employees. This role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:
- Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Retirement benefits and employer match
- Life Insurance (Basic and Voluntary Life)
- Short & Long Term Disability with a buy-up LTD option
- Voluntary Accident & Critical Illness benefits
- Flex Spending Accounts & Mass Transit benefits
- Open Vacation Policy
- Sick Time
- Generous leave benefits (medical, maternity, paternity, and personal)
- Paid wellness days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Learning & reimbursement program stipend
- Mobile and internet allowance
- Wellness stipend
- Pet insurance
Fastly reserves the right to amend or modify for any reasons in accordance with applicable law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly's home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful - every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we're not 'one size fits all'. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We're always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit, please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
- Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.