At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
As a Counsel at Compass, you work on exciting matters that require proactive legal guidance. You're part of a group of talented in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think creatively and constructively. You are energetic and collaborative - ready to partner in initiatives that influence all aspects of Compass's business and work with employees and agents across the company. Your contributions will be impactful, value driven, and you will play an instrumental role on the Compass Legal Team.
At Compass You Will:
What We're Look For:
- Serve as one of the primary lawyers responsible for counseling the Product, Marketing and Engineering teams from the initial stages of product development to launch, identifying legal risks, proposing mitigation strategies, and negotiating strategic agreements.
- Develop and maintain a repository of legal resources that are required for Compass products, such as FAQs, terms of service, privacy notices and other disclosures.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests from Product, Marketing and Engineering teams and other business groups.
- Develop expertise in a range of Compass products and work closely with cross-functional teams to maintain products in compliance with legal requirements.
- Advise on, review, draft, and discuss a wide variety of commercial agreements that support and enable our business operations under tight deadlines.
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations dealing with privacy, intellectual property, content regulation, competition, consumer protection and advertising.
- Strong academic credentials including a JD and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (NY bar a plus)
- 4+ years at top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Experience as a product counsel at a technology company a plus
- Excellent analytical, consulting, drafting and negotiation skills with the ability to make well-reasoned legal and business judgments and clearly explain complex ideas
- A team player with low ego who can effectively work with other legal professionals
- A willingness to learn new areas of law, acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team on an "as-needed" basis
- Confidence operating in a fast-paced environment
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills, the ability to work independently, manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure in a dynamic, fluid environment
Do your best work, be your authentic self
At Compass, we believe that everyone deserves to find their place in the world — a place where they feel like they belong, where they can be their authentic selves, where they can thrive. Our collaborative, energetic culture is grounded in our Compass Entrepreneurship Principles and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, growth and mobility. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer competitive compensation packages, robust benefits and professional growth opportunities aimed at helping to improve our employees' lives and careers.
Notice for California Applicants