Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
The Director, Global Equity & Payroll Administration will manage the global payroll and equity award administration functions in a high growth, global environment. The Director, Global Equity & Payroll Administration will strategize and plan for the expected growth in the organization, both domestically and internationally, and be accountable for streamlining and scaling payroll and equity award systems and processes while establishing and monitoring strong internal controls. The Director, Global Equity & Payroll Administration will be an entrusted cross-functional business partner with Human Resources, Legal, Accounting, Tax and Treasury teams while ensuring regulatory compliance in the daily execution of the team responsibilities. This position will manage a small team and reports to the Chief Accounting Officer.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage the administration of the Company’s Global Equity & Payroll Administration functions, including all applicable external service providers in connection with these functions.
- Partner with Legal, Finance and Compensation on the design of global equity programs and coordinate the rollout for existing participants and future acquisitions.
- Partner with legal to ensure timely and accurate compliance with 10b5-1 transactions and filings of Forms 3, 4 and 5. Monitor general compliance developments over both Global Payroll and Equity Awards and implement as appropriate.
- Manage full-cycle processing of US and International payroll for 1500+ employees.
- Manage partnership with ADP and other payroll vendors to optimize system functionality and exploit opportunities for process automation.
- Maintain and review payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, taxes and other deductions.
- Manage tax and benefits compliance and reporting with all Federal, State, and Local payroll compliance, including tax withholding, and garnishments.
- Support the Corporate Accounting team in the translation of equity awards into Stock-Based Compensation and Earnings Per Share calculations.
- Key participant in the annual audit process and quarterly reviews of global compensation and equity award disclosures.
- Oversee a team that ensures SOX-compliant internal controls over Global Equity & Payroll Administration functions.
- Incorporate best practices in a continuous improvement mindset across all owned business processes and ensure systemic tools are being fully leveraged in order to increase reliance on system (versus manual) controls.
- Manage, mentor and coach a small team.
- Assist in ad hoc projects, as needed.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in U.S. and global payroll at complex global organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or accounting
- CEP Level 3 Certification; Payroll Certification a plus
- Effective communicator, both written and oral, and demonstrable expertise managing a global team
- Subject matter expert on equity award administration and global payroll and related compliance requirements
- Able to demonstrate expertise and background with increasing levels of responsibility and seniority
- Shareworks and ADP knowledge and experience preferred but not required; must have deep knowledge and experience working with payroll vendors and platform technologies
- Ability to be both “hands-on” and manage a small team and be an effective collaborator with cross-functional teams (e.g. Human Resources, Legal, etc.)