Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm.
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced contracts manager to join our growing transactional team. You’ll work on a wide range of commercial agreements, including inbound services, licensing arrangements, marketing agreements, partnership agreements, RFIs, amendments and more. In some cases you’ll be the sole legal support and in others work closely with other legal team members. You'll also assist with or lead commercial related scaling and operational projects that will help streamline processes and allow the business to move quickly. You will collaborate closely with business teams, product teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to move the business forward.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Support Coinbase’s Procurement Commercial team in drafting, evaluating, negotiating, and executing commercial agreements such as licensing, marketing, consulting and master services agreements, statements of work, and confidentiality agreements.
- Respond to legal requests from business teams, summarizing and communicating legal concepts.
- Maintain and update commercial templates.
- Respond to requests for information on behalf of Commercial legal.
- Develop and implement commercial procedures and policies that streamline processes and allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- Identify legal issues and as necessary, escalate to internal subject matter experts for feedback and approval.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams (Sourcing/Procurement, PrivacySecurity, Product/Engineering, Finance/Tax, Legal/Compliance, IT/PeopleOps) and other legal colleagues to solve problems, build partnerships, and close deals quickly.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute their transactional and product roadmap.
- Be a business partner, not just a contracts manager!
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience working as a contracts manager or paralegal in a large law firm, or in-house.
- Experience independently drafting, negotiating and executing commercial contracts such as nondisclosure, consulting, professional services, license and marketing / promotional agreements, amendments, statements of work, and assignments.
- Experience developing commercial procedures or project-managing legal related organizational projects.
- Experience implementing and working with a CMS tool is a plus, but not necessary.
- Experience working with and collaborating with cross-functional teams such Finance, Tax, Security, and Privacy, on contract negotiations.
- Superior interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, while adapting quickly to a rapidly changing environment.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Sound and practical business judgement.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ, wise, authentic, with a sense of humor.
Nice to haves:
- Knowledge of and experience with data privacy regulations and related requirements (e.g. GDPR, CPPA), preferred but not required.
- Experience in a regulated financial services industry is a plus.