The workflow orchestration team aims to provide a Kubernetes-based, multi-tenant, observable, and highly available infrastructure to address the need across Bloomberg to run repeatable and explainable workflows. Across the organization, infrastructure and application teams need this type of orchestration for a multitude of operations, including machine learning pipelines, data ingestion pipelines, infrastructure management workflows, source code build workflows, etc.
This is a brand new platform, so you will have opportunities to design and develop many fundamental components. Some workstreams on our roadmap are creating a highly available Kubernetes infrastructure with automated disaster recovery, orchestration of workflows across multiple clusters, and Docker image security. We also work with multiple infrastructure teams such as the Data Science Platform, Database Services and Infrastructure, AI, and source code management to provide great integration experience.
Our team makes extensive use of open-source projects (e.g. Kubernetes, Traefik, Argo, Istio) and is involved in many of their communities. We collaborate widely with the industry, contribute back to the open source projects, and even present at conferences.
If you are a software engineer who is passionate about building a resilient, highly available infrastructure, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Interact with application teams who use (or are looking to use) our platform to understand their requirements and translate these requirements into common features that our platform should offer to best provide a generic, highly usable service that facilitates our users focusing only on solving business problems
- Interact with various Bloomberg infrastructure teams including Database Services and Infrastructure, Data Science Platform, AI, source code management, etc. to coordinate and contribute to common solutions used across our entire organization
- Innovate and design solutions that keep in mind strict production SLA: efficiency, multi-tenancy, high availability, reliability across clusters/data centers, etc.
- Implement those solutions by contributing to an ever-expanding codebase utilizing modern paradigms and frameworks
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies we utilize and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop features
- Troubleshoot and debug run-time issues
You'll need to have:
- Passion for developing and supporting modern software infrastructure
- Experience designing and implementing low-latency, high-scalability systems
- Experience working with a distributed multi-tenancy and multi-cluster system
- A strong understanding of and interest in distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Accepted contributions to open source projects
- Experience with Kubernetes and its broader ecosystem (custom operators, prometheus, service mesh etc.)
- Experience with workflow orchestration tools such as Argo, Airflow, Nifi, or Tekton
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.