You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
The Legal Services Team (LST) is part of American Express General Counsel’s Organisation (GCO). We deliver legal support to colleagues within GCO and to clients, globally, across all business lines within American Express. We are looking to add a team member in the UK, who will report to a senior lawyer within the LST also based in the EMEA region. We are very keen to find someone who is fluent in German and could support German-speaking colleagues, both within GCO and the business. This is not an absolute requirement for the position.
The LST’s mission is to provide efficient, consistent, innovative and high-quality, legal support across business units, staff groups and jurisdictions. We are looking for a motivated, proactive, paralegal, with some commercial contracts experience, who will be an integral part of this busy team. Candidates must be able to use their legal skills to work closely with key business clients around the globe, the LST leadership team and colleagues within the LST team on a day to day basis. In addition, candidates should possess a strong ability to manage stakeholders and be able to demonstrate a track record of excellent client care.
Contribute as an independent, trusted legal advisor to GCO and to the wider Amex business by:
- Identifying and effectively managing legal risk
- Taking instructions from and supporting your team leader, other lawyers or legal teams in GCO, across all geographic regions
- Providing sound, commercial, legal advice and support across all business units, including drafting, reviewing, analysing and negotiating a wide range of agreements and legal documents, including confidentiality, procurement, distribution, sponsorship, marketing, partnership, affiliate, referral, customer communications and terms and conditions, as well as other commercial contracts as required
- Supporting internal governance and approval processes, including coordinating with Compliance, Risk, Finance and other internal stakeholders as appropriate
- Instructing and liaising with outside counsel to obtain, challenge and finalise legal advice/opinions on projects and agreements
- Carrying out legal research on behalf of GCO colleagues
- Reviewing and amending internal and external servicing and marketing communications, company and product application forms
- Handling company secretarial matters, as required
- Performing any other duties assigned by the LST leadership team
Working with other LST team members to:
- Improve methods for legal knowledge management
- Contribute to LST’s training and development programme
- Ensure LST’s adherence to any company-wide and GCO-specific processes and procedures.
- Preparing and delivering internal training, as required
- Performing other duties as assigned by the LST leadership, from time to time
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Law degree, or Graduate Diploma in Law/Common Practice Examination, plus proven experience in a paralegal role advising on English law matters
- In-house experience in financial services is preferred, but not mandatory
- Experience of drafting and advising on commercial contracts
- Strong ability to research, negotiate and influence
- Solid analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Solid understanding of general principles of law applicable to commercial practice
- Intellectually strong with ability to rapidly grasp key issues
- Ability to effectively multi-task, prioritise and work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations
- Ability to interpret and apply legal issues in a practical, commercial, common sense manner
- Fluency in an additional language other than English (particularly German) would be an advantage, but is not mandatory
- Team player with a willingness to share knowledge, teach and learn
- Self-starter, able to handle own caseload and clients
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with clients, senior business-people, legal management and external regulators, both orally and in writing
- Passionate about commercial law, inquisitive, able to self-initiate learning and brainstorming
- Strategic thinker who is analytical and can problem solve
- Strong ability to build solid working relationships
- Willingness to learn and grow, and to leverage experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express
- Commitment to integrity and American Express values
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com.