“You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day.”
At American Express, we are passionate about providing the best customer experience everyday through a differentiated set of products and services. Amex’s Risk Management capabilities are at the core of delivering an outstanding customer experience, while maintaining credit and fraud losses at the lowest levels in the industry. With our mix of assets like closed-loop data, machine learning models, and underwriting techniques on a modern technology stack, we are re-imagining how payment experiences and risk management converge in a more modern, digital, and connected world. As we transform our business processes and capabilities to drive innovation and growth, we must have continuous focus on Governance and Controls for our risk platforms and capabilities.
The Manager of Product Development will report to the Director of Governance & Controls and join an emerging team of product owners and data architects within the risk management capabilities organization. The team’s focus will be to support the development and implementation of new capabilities and frameworks for credit risk and fraud risk. Their work will pave the way for risk teams to enable sustainable growth and best-in-class customer experiences, while maintaining an effective and efficient control environment to mitigate operational risk and technical breakdowns.
The team will collaborate with Strategy and Technology partners, Product Owners, Product Managers, Data Stewards, and Operational Risk colleagues to enhance the organization’s preventative controls through the implementation of automated testing, enhanced data logging, and metadata management.
Additional responsibilities may include support of incident management, the capability teams’ test & control environment, Third-Party risk assessments, and Business Continuity Planning.
- Product Ownership of new testing, data logging, and metadata management capabilities
- Partnering with strategy and technology teams during new product development, migrations, etc. to ensure that all implementations have adequate controls and governance in place at launch
- Supporting incident management through issue identification, root cause analysis, and control enhancements
- Supporting the capability teams’ test & control framework
- Supporting Third-Party risk assessments and Business Continuity Planning for risk management capabilities
A successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
- Degree in a computer science, technology, engineering, business management, or related discipline
- 3+ years of Product Development experience using Agile methodology (Certifications are preferred)
- Strong background in Risk Management, Technologies, Capabilities, Data Science, Operational Risk, or Governance
- Expertise in multiple functional areas within credit and fraud risk management (fraud detection/prevention, credit and collections strategy, new accounts onboarding, underwriting, etc.)
- Detailed understanding of risk management capabilities, systems, testing and data logging practices
- Expertise in data extraction and analysis (BigData platforms)
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) – e.g., presenting to leadership, or providing business/technical requirements
- Curiosity and a desire to seek out and solve complex problems through ingenuity and creativity
- Critical thinking with advanced analytical skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial mindset with an ability to deliver results on multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of ambiguity
- Strong relationship builder and team player, who can influence colleagues at all levels
- Experience leading people is a plus
“Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.”American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.