You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
Global Real Estate and Workplace Experience (GREWE) is the global team at Amex that is responsible for the full lifecycle of planning, execution and operations of Amex offices globally. GREWE supports over 65,000 Amex colleagues and contractors in over eight million square feet of property located in 41 countries. Our real estate portfolio consists of large full-service campuses, office buildings, sales offices and airport lounges. The sites may be owned, leased or be occupied through a serviced space arrangement.
Amex treats Real Estate as a company asset, centrally managed, decisioned and budgeted at the highest segment results profit & loss. GREWE has global financial responsibility for Real Estate and is part of the broader global business services (GBS) organization which delivers critical shared services to colleagues across the entire enterprise.
We work in close collaboration with stakeholders in Colleague Experience Group (CEG), American Express Technology (AET), Global Security (GS) as well as rely extensively on our network of vendor partners to deliver a safe, productive and desirable work environment for all the Amex business units and users that work in our offices.
GREWE seeks to be a proactive and flexible enterprise function supporting Amex growth and colleague experience. The entire team is focused on delivering against the following common goals that are linked to specific initiatives and metrics across different regions and functions within the team:
- Proactively enable long term enterprise growth and profitability
- Be the workplace of choice in all markets and across all functions
- Continuously improve delivery efficiency, flexibility and speed
- Build and manage the best team as one GREWE (including our vendor partners)
- Consistently manage compliance, fiscal performance, risk and safety globally
At Amex, employees view each other as colleagues – part of the same team, striving to deliver the brand promise to customers and each other every day. Individual performance is essential and valued, but never at the expense of the team. Amex is a diverse and inclusive company and serves diverse customers. Amex believes it is a better company when employees feel included, valued and able to trust colleagues who respect each other for who they are and what they contribute to the collective success. The GREWE team believes that the workplace reflects and shapes Amex culture. Through our products and services, we continuously foster the Amex brand, culture and values across all our diverse regions.
GREWE – Global Workplace Safety mission is to develop, implement and manage safety strategies, assess and mitigate risk, promote safety culture and help ensure that effective training, advice, partnership and support is provided for all American Express business areas and workplaces globally. The direct scope of service covers all locations with >20 headcount with advisory support for all locations. The customers of this service include Amex colleagues, contractors, providers, health & safety (H&S) third party partners, and visitors to Amex sites.
To deliver on its mission this function collaborates closely with other GREWE functions (facilities management, workplace services, etc.), Colleague Experience Group (medical, benefits, etc.), Global Security Services, Regulatory Agencies, Country Leaders, and Country Executive Teams/Boards. The success of Global Workplace Safety is measured through regulatory conformance, employee satisfaction and participation, risk mitigation (Assessments and Inspections), incident ratings, and H&S management review/audits.
Reporting to the Global Workplace Safety Director, the Global Workplace Safety UK Manager will be responsible for the driving the Health and Safety programme. The role is based and mainly supporting the UK. The position will also act as an advisor/facilitator to provide support across several European markets, s/he will liaise with market health and safety contacts and provide guidance on company programmes and strategic transformations.
Specifically, s/he will assure that the function adequately:
- Protects AMEX employees, contractors and visitors from Injuries/Illnesses & harm in our workplaces
- Meets the necessary country/federal, state and local regulatory requirements as well as Amex internal policies and procedures
- Provides support to Market leaders who have overall liability for meeting regulations
- Supporting and promoting health and safety awareness and a positive safety culture amongst colleagues. Conducting training and presentations.
- Delineates clearly identified and agreed upon roles and responsibilities of key internal H&S stakeholders and external vendors
- Protects the Company and Brand from legal and reputational risks.
- Demonstrates governance through standardized auditing protocols.
- Leverages industry best practices and proactively plans for future improvements
- Identify and remedy risks as it pertains to our colleagues and safety
- Promotes safety engagement and culture at all levels of the organization
- Shares best practices and ensure service consistency between regional H&S team members
- Collaborates across BU partners with an emphasis on an enterprise mindset
- You will manage a team of 2 direct reports located across the UK and parts of EMEA. This position requires the ability to work individually, also as part of a global safety team. This includes programme management, global strategy development, leadership and management of key business partners and stakeholders to ensure strong relationships are formed.
As a Safety function leader, s/he will also be responsible for:
- Customer & colleague relationship management
- The position includes relationship management for all colleagues in defined locations, ensuring channels of communication are in place to facilitate dialogue with Country Leadership Teams, Business Unit leaders and key customers regarding services being delivered, identifying issues in a proactive manner and driving resolutions where required.
- Advertises and promotes these services within the defined locations and is responsive to changing customer needs whilst working within AXP and GREWE policy and scope
- Act as the escalation point for problem resolution for internal customers concerning all operational aspects of workplace safety by Third-party service partners of GREWE’s Facilities Management Services
- Additional responsibilities include; work towards obtaining ISO 45001 accreditation: support the include Virtual Office policies, Ergonomics training, self-assessment and tracking; Utilize technology platforms for our colleagues Blogs, tips, etc.; Focus on new areas around Sustainability, Environmental, and integrate safety within all GREWE teams.
In the near-term you will also need to leverage the visibility of safety from COVID-19 perspective, overall program management, tracking, reporting (audit/risk assessments, governance).
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong subject matter expertise in Workplace Safety and related fields (ergonomics, contractor management, etc.) with relevant qualifications/certification as an Occupational Health and Safety professional. Degree or relevant equivalent level 6 qualification (IOSH Chartered status or market equivalent)
- In-depth knowledge of Health and Safety trends and regulatory environment
- Experience in dealing with external health and safety regulators and government agencies
- Experience with H&S audits and certifications such as ISO 45001
- Global process / policy development and compliance experience
- A second language would be beneficial
- Experience in people leadership, specifically working within a matrix environment, and experience of managing internal team in various countries is highly desirable
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and influence others. Strong written and spoken communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of budget and finance management, including capital planning, accrual and forecasting processes, analysis of risks and opportunities is required
- Self-starter, analytical, numerate, tenacious with the ability to work under own initiative as the position has a high level of autonomy
- A problem-solving, proactive risk manager who is willing to innovate
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com.