You’ll do more than the expected. You’ll do the unexpected.
This role is for a lawyer to join the General Counsel’s Organization (GCO) at American Express to act as Manager & Counsel – Global Legal Policy & Strategy in a multi-disciplinary Global Legal Policy and Strategy function. The role will track, report and advise on antitrust developments in EMEA and regulatory and policy trends globally, support the efforts of a global Centre of Excellence for payment systems regulation, which leverages experience responding to payments regulatory developments across the globe and contribute to the broader work of the Global Legal Policy and Strategy function, in which this role sits.
The role will support all lines of business within American Express globally. Key business areas relevant to this role include consumer and commercial card issuing and payments generally, merchant acquiring and payment networks, all with the overlay of a dynamic environment involving emerging and evolving digital/mobile and data-driven technologies and capabilities.
The role will interface with other GCO lawyers, business colleagues, Compliance, Government Affairs, and potentially external bodies and regulators. The ideal candidate would be a strategic thinker with strong analytical and communication skills. They will have an ability to track, interpret and report relevant developments quickly, understanding the strategic implications, translating them into concise clear updates for a range of internal stakeholders and proactively anticipating their needs. They will also have the ability, working in partnership with internal stakeholders, to consider strategic implications and consolidate and communicate syndicated policy positions to policymakers in the context of consultation responses and potentially other forums. They will have familiarity with several of the following areas of law and policy: competition law, market studies, regulatory enquiries (competition law or otherwise), data/digital policy, two-sided markets, open banking, crypto-currency, Fintech, AML, consumer policy.
The role will be based in London in the Global Legal Policy and Strategy team, which comprises both competition law and financial services lawyers and is responsible for dealing with competition law, global payments systems regulation and global legal policy and strategy. You will report to the Group Counsel, who leads the team.
- Regulatory and policy advice and strategic support with an emphasis on a wide range of competition law, financial services and payments systems regulatory matters and other materially relevant policy developments affecting payments globally, such as digital, data and consumer policy developments
- Monitoring regulatory policy and competition law developments relating to financial services, payment services, payment schemes and adjacent sectors through internal, external and desktop resources and reporting these developments internally
- Leadership and delivery of quarterly global payments report and other periodic reports in related bespoke areas
- Advising on the strategic implications of emerging legal and policy developments affecting the company and competition law driven payments regimes, drawing from experience of global developments
- Assisting in the development of American Express strategy in response to and anticipation of regulatory developments in the payments industry
- Partnering with colleagues in Government Affairs and across the GCO on external engagement efforts at national, EU level and globally to ensure regulation is proportionately tailored according to different business models
- Building positive working relationships with relevant policy makers through attending meetings with policymakers and participating in legal and industry groups. Responding to public policy consultations and supporting regulatory engagement on key developments
- Liaising with other industry participants on regulatory developments including in trade associations and industry bodies
- Carrying out legal research
- Managing databases and omni-channel forms of communicating policy updates. Managing, implementing, and improving methods for legal knowledge management within the team. Suggesting process improvements
- Briefing colleagues and clients on significant developments and projects
- Preparing and supporting delivery of internal training as appropriate
- Managing related legal budgets and subscription serves
- Leading projects and assisting more senior lawyers
- Attending relevant training courses and conferences
- Supporting the work of the Global Legal Policy and Strategy function, as required. A keen interest in thinking creatively about how to make our research and horizon scanning visible, readily accessible and appealing to senior management
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Qualified to practice law and provide legal advice in an EU jurisdiction or the UK with relevant post-qualification experience in the policy and regulatory areas the role will cover
- Experience in competition law, EU law and policy and familiarity with one or more of the following areas would be helpful: payment services, payment schemes
- Experience in and a demonstrated aptitude for identifying, interpreting, and communicating relevant policy trends and regulatory developments (including for technically complex regulation) in a number of these areas to different stakeholders, in the context of the company’s commercial strategy
- We would encourage applications from candidates with a range of diverse backgrounds preferably from in house legal teams, private practice, or external policy reporting organizations.
- Fluency in English, other European languages, or local law competency helpful
- Solid drafting, research, and negotiation/influencing skills
- Strong collaborative and team working skills, as well as self-leadership
- Skilled at multi-tasking – able to manage and prioritize a wide variety of matters and client contacts at once
- Good PowerPoint skills and ability to present complex concepts succinctly and visually
Required Personal Attributes:
- Process-management skills - strong knowledge-management and organizational skills, and willingness to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity
- High engagement – passionate about payments and regulatory matters
- Commercial focus – able to interpret and apply regulation in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner
- Strong communication skills – personable, able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively, and persuasively with clients, all levels of business, legal management, and external regulators
- Prepared to take the lead and make appropriate recommendations to management
- Comfortable with speaking up in meetings and briefing stakeholders orally and in writing
- Adaptable and collaborative - able and willing to work both as part of a team and independently
- Willingness to learn and grow - willing to learn about business sectors relevant to American Express as well as the applicable regulatory environment and to leverage experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express
- Strong relationship focus - able to build solid working relationships with clients, colleagues, and external parties. Enjoys getting to know people
- Commitment to integrity and American Express values, with high personal work standards
- Strategic thinker with good analytical skills, attention to detail even under time pressure
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com .