General Counsel’s Organization
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role
- Provide legal support and strategic advice to business clients
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of international commercial agreements and communication
- Provide legal support on various strategic marketing initiatives and agreements
- Provide legal support on acquisitions, strategic alliances and other transactions, including legal due diligence and contract drafting and negotiating
- Provide legal support on new product and service development initiatives
- Help to ensure management and the organization understands and complies with legal and regulatory requirements
- Support the GCO team in identifying and effectively managing legal risks
- Support monitoring relevant legislative developments across EMEA markets
- Manage external counsel budget, with the aim to ensure that the company receives cost effective legal advice
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- A lawyer qualified in England and Wales, or in a common law or EU jurisdiction, ideally with relevant professional experience at a reputable law firm or international company.
- Proven experience + PQE
- Fluent in English. Additional European language a plus
- Solid drafting, research and negotiation/influencing skills
- Solid analytical skills
- Solid understanding of general principles of law applicable to commercial practice as well as experience in areas of law applicable to payments industry
- Understanding of regulatory matters generally and areas applicable to payments industry
- Ability to work under time pressure to meet tight deadlines and clients’ expectations
- Some international travel may be required.
- Strategic thinker with good business understanding and analytical skills
- Skilled at effective multi-tasking - able to manage and prioritize a wide variety of matters and clients to high levels of client satisfaction
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing - able to communicate clearly, concisely, effectively and persuasively with internal and external clients and senior management
- Adaptability - strong team player who thrives on collaboration and understands the individual part they play in the success of a cross- functional team
- Self-sufficiency – inquisitive, takes initiative and owns their learning and development, comfortable working with minimal direct supervision
- Prepared to take the lead and make appropriate recommendations to middle and – if required – senior management. This role requires someone with credibility and presence
- Excellent relationship management and people skills – ability to adapt communication style to a broad mix of people and personalities. Ability to form and maintain strong working relationships
- Willingness to learn and grow and to leverage experience gained in this position to expand skill set for future career growth at American Express
- Ability to respond under time pressure to business issues with executable solutions clearly linked to business objectives
- Process-management skills - ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity
- Commitment to integrity
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
Amex have been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com .