You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
At American Express, we know that with the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. Whether we’re supporting our customers’ financial confidence to move ahead, taking commerce to new heights, or encouraging people to explore the world, our colleagues are constantly redefining what’s possible - and we’re proud to back each other every step of the way. When you join #TeamAmex, you become part of a diverse community of over 60,000 colleagues, all with a common goal to deliver an exceptional customer experience every day
The Compliance Director will lead the Line of Business Compliance relationship for US Global Commercial Service (GCS). The position will provide compliance oversight and support for the GCS business in its growth and strategic plans as well as its development of new initiatives, including products, services and channels. The position will also be responsible for advising and partnering with GCS to ensure an effective Compliance Risk Management Program.
- Lead the development and ongoing maintenance of the Compliance Program for the GCS business.
- Provide expert compliance guidance to the GCS business in the design and implementation of products, customer interactions, processes and controls to comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Lead a team of Compliance direct reports and coordinate with Market Compliance, General Counsel and Compliance SMEs to ensure appropriate support of the GCS business and Compliance Program.
- Represent Compliance as a member of the various Compliance business, project and control teams as required.
- Oversee completion of ongoing activities related to the GCS Compliance Risk Management Program, including risk assessment, monitoring of compliance risk and business performance and issue management, working with Operational Excellence and Business teams as required.
- Provide leadership updates and reporting as required to ensure effective communication and visibility of the program progress and performance.
- Provide pro-active advice on regulatory issues and ensure appropriate communication to the business and compliance leadership.
- Proven experience in developing and leading Compliance Programs. 5-10 years of compliance or other relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge and compliance / risk management experience relevant to the commercial business.
- Proven ability to understand legal and regulatory concepts and requirements and convert them into relevant, practical business guidance and solutions.
- Proven experience in developing and leading teams, motivating and developing talent.
- Strong relationship and leadership skills, with proven ability to build relationships with business partners.
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix structure that spans multiple functions, markets and legal entities.
- Self-motivated and team player with ability to drive results in changing and ambiguous situations.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to lead by influence.
- Bachelor’s degree.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.