This Director position in the Global Commercial Services (GCS) Finance team is responsible for leading the GCS US Investment Optimization team and driving analytics that influence GCS US investment decisions. The position will play a leading role in the investment planning process for GCS US Marketing, coordinating closely with business partners to ensure a strong linkage between long term GCS strategic priorities and investment decisions. The role will have significant interaction with the GCS Finance Leadership Team, the US marketing team, Finance colleagues and an extensive set of cross functional business partners.
Agile thinking, analytical bend of mind, clear communication skills, and ability to influence senior business partners are vital skills for success in the role.
- Partnering with Marketing, Capabilities, and other the Finance and business teams to lead the Investment Optimization process for GCS US investments
- Provide thought leadership to drive insightful analytics that influence investment optimization decisions.
- Analyze the impacts of different product/customer segment initiatives and acquisition/customer marketing programs. Partner with the business on recommended changes to optimize financial returns.
- Provide recommendations to Marketing on how to deploy, reduce or request incremental investment funding as part of the monthly process
- Further develop techno-finance capabilities across the team including the ability to leverage new data analytics, such as the Machine Learning Studio, to drive insightful analytics.
- Enhance investment prioritization criteria including strengthening ROI (Return on Investment) calculations and challenging existing methodologies
- Improve investment tracking process including expanding measurement of early performance indicators, to refresh and track ROI on investment portfolio in an ongoing manner
- Develop and share investment performance trends with Marketing leaders as well as Finance leaders
- Partner with other teams including analytical teams in Finance and in the GCS business, to continue to enhance quality of data used in the Investment Optimization process
- Prioritize and optimize investments using a set of financial and strategic metrics to drive profitable long-term growth
- Partner with Risk, Audit, Model Validation and other teams to complete any audits and ensure governance
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Self-starter, proactive business person in a finance role including solid business acumen, strategic thinking and broad vision of long term growth of the business
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal, written and through presentations. Ability to break down complex ideas into understandable and actionable messages
- Proven track record of managing / navigating matrixed set of stakeholders and highly collaborative
- Exceptional analytical skills required
- Track record of innovation and thought leadership in previous roles including leveraging new technology
- Ability to motivate, develop and promote talents of the team
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage a large, multi-faceted process, while also remaining rooted in business strategy.
- Highly motivated individual with an ability to drive results and work with ambiguity
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet aggressive deadlines
- Card issuer experience preferred
- Prior investment analysis experience a plus
- 8-10+ years of relevant work experience
- MBA or similar professional degree preferred