- Bachelors Degree, Associates Degree, or Trades Degree in a relevant engineering discipline and 10+ years direct experience supporting research/hardware development
- 7+ years defining and deploying computer aided manufacturing (“CAM”) processes for yourself and direct team
- 7+ years operating complex manufacturing equipment
- 7+ years interacting with design and test engineering teams prescribing Design for Manufacturing and Assembly procedures
- 7+ years guiding internal and vendor teams to manage operation resources to execute prototype builds across multiple sites and labs
- 7+ years providing conflict resolution to schedule setbacks by developing and implementing recovery plans
- 3+ years functioning as an expert in Design for Excellence (DFx) methods, advising mechanical, electrical, and optical design engineers in implementing design for assembly and manufacturability into their designs
- 3+ years partnering with their Technical Hardware Development Manager, informing them on problem solving, root cause analysis, and other continuous improvement initiatives, first by setting the example and establishing process, and then by ownership over the area to conclusion
- 3+ years developing automated CAM, CAD, and physical manufacturing processes
- 2+ years partnering with engineering teams to define product manufacturing strategy plans based on development learning and product requirements
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earth’s most customer centric company, and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in distributed systems and hardware design.
A day in the life
In this effort, as a Sr. Prototyping Engineer, you will work closely with Mechanical, Manufacturing, and Research teams to develop functional prototypes and complex electro-optical/mechanical systems. You will drive technical innovation of prototyping processes and exhibit consistent high-level of quality and speed. This position requires strong conceptual development and the proficient use of various manufacturing processes and their correct implementation within a prototyping process while simultaneously developing strategies that can be applied to scale products in an efficient manner.
About the hiring group
The Prototyping and Integration team accelerates hardware development via manufacturing and integration of new-to-world products. Those learnings are then directly applied to scale manufacturing processes.
As a part of Project Kuiper, you'll be tasked with the initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
- Experience with electro-mechanical design and related manufacturing process including complex small-scale mechanical assemblies, design for assembly/manufacturing, interconnect design, FPCA/PCBA design, and EE and ME component and material selection, design for EMI/RF/Optical, adhesive bonding, and system integration.
- Expert knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and 2D/3D tolerance analyses
- Expertise using Siemens NX and Solidworks CAD systems
- Expert knowledge of HyperMILL CAM systems
- Expert operation and maintaining of 5 axis milling systems that include pallet changers