- Experience developing rich applications with HTML, CSS, JS, C#
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or other technical field, or commensurate professional experience.
- Experience with at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java, Rails, C++ or C#
- Experience with Computer Science fundamentals including data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis
The Devices Data Services SDE team creates products and apps which make data more accessible, not only within the Devices organization, but across all of Amazon. By lowering the barrier for non-technical users to access data, we enable Amazonians all around the world to provide the data insights they need for their business. In addition to providing easier access to data, we create tools to help them discover data, keep pipelines flowing, and ensure secure data governance.
A day in the life
Your focus will be creating new tools and apps to ease access to data, and automate tasks, saving our customers time and effort. You will interact with other engineers throughout the company, and work closely with data engineers, data scientists, and product managers, to identify real-world data access issue, and create new tools and apps to solve them. You’ll be using best practices for architecting, building, testing, and deploying software solutions/components, and build valuable cloud computing skills across a variety of AWS services in a high-visibility, agile, and fast-paced environment. We encourage experimentation, innovative technology solutions, and close customer contact.
About the hiring group
The DDS team is a unique mix of Data Engineers, Data Scientists, and SDEs. This range of expertise positions us uniquely to be able to leverage a range of AWS technologies and full-stack programing, and create new and innovative web-based tools. We own the most widely used ad hoc SQL query app within Amazon, and are currently playing a key role in enabling a high-impact, cross-Amazon, data governance initiative.
As an SDE in this group, you will lead and mentor other talented engineers. You will be responsible for building the best customer experience, keeping latency, security, and usability in mind. You will interact with Product Managers and customers, and convert their vision into a technical solution, in collaboration with other Software Engineers and Data Engineers. You will guide the team on web/mobile development best practices, great designs and programming practices, and lead by example, using them in the solutions that you build.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
The following are a bonus, but you'll have ample opportunity to learn on the job, too.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture and web application/services development
- Database and AWS technologies
- Familiarity with scripting languages (e.g. PHP, Ruby, Perl)
- Some front-end development experience
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation