- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (any discipline) or foreign equivalent, OR a related field.
- Masters with two years of relevant experience or a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering or a related quantitative field with five years of working experience as a Data Scientist
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences, ability to simplify complex topics for broad audiences
- Strong analytical and data processing skills with the ability to manipulate data in databases via SQL and spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency with Tableau/R Shiny/Dash or other web-based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts data maps etc.
- Able to write SQL scripts for analysis and reporting (Redshift, SQL, MySQL)
- Some travel may be required
Does the thought of improving one of the world’s most complex logistic systems inspire you? Are you fascinated by the interactions between operations and strategy? Do you want to be part of an organization that is on the leading edge of operations involving sortation, distribution, and logistics as Amazon delivers world class service to our customers? The Amazon NASC Material Flow Optimization Team (MFO) seeks to optimize site configurations, automate operational decisions, and develop operational models to maximize capacity and reduce variable cost at scale. We are looking for a proven technical leader with extensive model, simulation, scripting, and communication skills to join the effort in evolving the network we have today into the network we need tomorrow.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Data Scientist (DS) with outstanding leadership skills, proven ability to build and manage medium-scale modeling projects, identify data requirements, build methodology and tools that are statistically grounded. The ideal candidate will be an expert in the areas of data science, modeling and statistics, and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through to execution. Develop and produce balanced technical and business insights that allows our product organization to understand candidate behavior and labor markets, to make product decisions that increase the efficiency of our hiring pipeline and improve candidate experience.
The successful Data Scientist will have extreme bias for action needed in a startup environment. Work across multiple strategic programs and initiatives to un-earth opportunities, design and perform statistical experiments and build analytical systems/tools while striving for simplicity, and demonstrating creativity and judgment backed by statistical proof. Possess high intellectual curiosity with ability to quickly learn new concepts/frameworks, algorithms and technology that powers Amazon high volume hiring. We seek someone who can also demonstrate a high degree of ownership, insist on the highest standards and consistently deliver superior quality results on-time.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to display your skills in the following areas:
- Design and run experiments, research new algorithms, and find new ways to improve site configuration to optimize for throughput capacity and productivity
- Research operational models and implement by tailoring to business needs and test on large datasets.
- Partner with operations engineers and operations leaders to solve business and technology problems using scientific approaches to build new services that surprise and delight our customers.
- Collaborate with BI/Data Engineer, Research Science, and Engineering teams and drive the collection of new data and automation of operational decisions at scale
- Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Manipulating/mining data from databases (Redshift, SQL Server, Oracle DW, and Salesforce)
- Providing analytical network support to improve quality and standard work results
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
- Experience applying machine learning, data mining, or optimization and simulation modeling techniques in an industrial setting
- Experience in an operational environment developing, fast-prototyping, piloting and launching analytic products
- Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, quantify improvement in customer experience or value for the business resulting from research outcomes, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives
- Familiarity with Logistics/Supply Chain, or related Businesses
- Proficiency with concepts like system architecture, optimization, system dynamics, system analysis, statistical analysis, reliability analysis, and decision making
- Exposure to optimization solvers/tools (such as CPLEX, Gurobi, AMPL, Xpress), advanced simulation modeling tools (such as Flexsim, Arena, Simio), and experimental design
- Experience using one or more Python, R, VBA, Mosel programming languages