- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
Imagine if you could help shape the future of millions of AWS Customers, Partners, and Users as they learn how to maximize tools, services, and offerings in Amazon Web Services (AWS). Join us in building and operating learning systems that are reaching our customers. We are constantly evolving our core capabilities including our Learning Management System (LMS), Learning Record Store (LRS), and Learning Content Management Store (LCMS), and Security in Learning systems, among others to enable our customers in their journey to gain technical expertise.
Your role as a Software Development Engineer will be to bring your expertise in architecture and design, and your ability to dive deep into the most complex technical problems to the forefront as you help bring our learning tools to the next level of customer delight. You will support existing systems looking to enhance functionality, increase scale, and transform in new ways to meet our customer demands. You will also create new services and capabilities to meet emerging needs as our business grows. Your knowledge of full stack development and architecture will be key as we ensure we meet our challenges from the user experience through to our data layer at Amazon scale. You and your team will look to maximize the very technology stack they enable our customers to learn. You will work with some of the best and brightest as you grow into a Technical Leader in a group of junior through senior level developers.
This is a unique opportunity to contribute in building Service Oriented Architecture-based applications, e-Commerce solutions and many more using cutting-edge technologies. We are looking for highly motivated engineers to bring in their ideas and experience to help us reach our goals.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes, we do get to build really cool services, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we’ve been building.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new team members. Our team has a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don’t like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don’t get paged for the same issue twice.
- Design, develop, and maintain large scale web and API applications on AWS focusing on performance, scalability and stability
- Integrate our systems with core Amazon services for e-commerce, identity, security, etc.
- Contribute to ideating new services to support products and initiatives across our AWS Learning Services space
- Work closely with business stakeholders to understand their requirements, and identify opportunities to improve business processes through software automation
- Collaborate on our technology roadmap, turn visions into reality.
- Participate in Agile development
- Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us