- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 7+ years industry experience
- 2+ years of hands-on experience hiring and managing teams of Data Engineers
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Highly proficient in SQL and Python and knowledgeable about data warehousing concepts with BI use cases.
- Working knowledge of software development methodologies like Agile
- Logical thinking and analytical skills, sensitive to data, passion for processes and systems
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills
- Eager to help others & find out root of story
- High levels of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information.
Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a pioneer in blazing the new trails of cloud computing. AWS is a high-growth, fast-moving group within Amazon with a start-up mentality where new and diverse challenges arise every day. At AWS, we operate with the full backing of one of the world’s most successful web companies.
The AWS FinTech-BI team seeks a Data Engineer Manager to play a key role on the FinTech Datawarehouse team. This position will support data warehousing back-end solutions to support financial and operational reports and business critical analyses for the AWS leadership team. Projects have high visibility to AWS CEO and AWS CFO, senior business leaders in AWS, and extensive collaboration across multiple DE/BI teams within AWS services. This role requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, a keen attention to detail, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, a strong understanding of finance, and the independence and entrepreneurial ability to work with minimal direction and rapid prototyping.
As a manager on this team, you will get the exciting opportunity to work on very large data sets on Native AWS infrastructure and complex data warehouse environments. You will help create mechanisms and invent on behalf of your customers to provide a self-service environment that can scale for all of AWS Finance.
- Create an influential Data Engineering and BI vision for how the AWS Finance Organization should standardize and grow the day to day operations to support the CFO.
- Design analytics solutions to measure program impact, identify trends and hot spots, and influence product/program roadmaps
- Interface with business customers, gather requirements, and deliver complete Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, and BI solutions
- Hire, develop and mentor a team of high-performance data engineers and business intelligence engineers
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to leadership
- Interface with other teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using PostgreSQL (Redshift), Spark (EMR), programming languages (e.g. Java/Python) and/or a scripting language (Perl, Unix shell) to process data for modeling
- Demonstrated ability to engage with and influence Executive Leadership teams in order to drive alignment
- Advanced degree (MS, MA, MBA) from an accredited university
- Strong change management and influence skills; Demonstrated ability to make courageous recommendations and decisions based on the reliable analytics
- Ability to Deep Dive into data, processes, and systems and develop innovative ideas for process challenges