- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- 4+ years experience in Data Governance and Data Quality
- 7+ years experience in Business Intelligence, Data Management, Data Science, or closely-related disciplines
- Experience measuring and improving data quality in multiple dimensions (e.g. accuracy, consistency, timeliness), and introducing mechanisms to ensure sustained quality over time
- Proven ability to deliver measurable results in data quality improvement, and meet deadlines while coordinating work across multiple organizations and stakeholders
The Amazon Web Services Worldwide Solutions Architecture (WWSA) organization is looking for a Data Hygiene Manager in pursuit of consistently reliable data to enable insights and innovation.
The role is crucial to our WWSA data strategy, accelerating innovation by building mechanisms for data excellence which will grow our sophistication in data hygiene as both an objective and a discipline. The Data Hygiene Manager ensures that data is well understood and reliably fit for purpose, by employing multiple mechanisms such as: communication and accountability clarification (data governance and stewardship), data quality monitoring and dashboards, manual and automated cleansing, and metadata management. These improvements will be implemented with awareness and appreciation for the unique culture of Amazon, yet with an insistence to deliver high quality data as an enabler to: continuous learning, strategic insights, improvement of organizational performance, and transformational innovation.
In this role you will lead data hygiene efforts within WWSA. You will be accountable for establishing a federated stewardship model, data contracts, data policies, data access rights, and alignment of stakeholders across multiple Solutions Architecture initiatives and organizations.
An innovative candidate would be knowledgeable and adaptable self-starter, able to simultaneously manage multiple workstreams and projects, prioritize effectively, and thrive in a dynamic environment. This inovator must be well versed in foundational data management disciplines, yet highly adaptable to achieve success in a highly innovative environment.
- Establish a data governance roadmap to support multiple programs within WWSA and with key upstream data providers
- Create and manage a data stewardship program to involve business stakeholders and clarify accountabilities and collaboration
- Manage a measurable data governance framework with a focus on data quality improvements, process improvements and data security needs
- Act as an upstream enabler of data science and measurement initiatives through data acquisition and associated stakeholder management, including negotiation of Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and protection of data through clearly-defined policies and controls
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance, data stewardship, data quality management, and metadata management
- Coordinate cross-functional stakeholder groups to make decisions about data needs and solutions
- Provide regular two-way communication with senior management and other internal customers regarding status, risks, mitigations, and change control
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have twelve employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded professional and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- Effective, dedicated, resourceful, and able to deliver results with minimal direction
- Demonstrated ability to influence changed behaviors in how an organization carries out data management responsibilities
- Knowledge of Master Data Management (MDM) concepts and Metadata Management best practices
- Ability to explain the strategic benefits of data hygiene within a modern innovative business culture
- Experience with business intelligence platforms such as Amazon Redshift, data visualization tools such as QuickSight and Tableau, data pipeline tools such as AWS Glue, data quality platforms such as IDQ, MDM platforms, data modeling tools, and/or data catalog / governance platforms such as Collibra and Alation
- Certified Data Management Professional or similar certifications
- Proficient in writing SQL queries or using reporting or data quality tools to research data anomalies to analyze problems or trends
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Mathematics, Business, Finance, or Statistics, or equivalent work experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.