- Advanced degree such as MS or Ph.D in Computer Science, Life Sciences, Biomedical, Bioinformatics and/or Engineering/Math background required
- 5+ years of experience working as a clinician, researcher and/or developer with areas of focus including genomics or related AI / ML applications
- Relevant business or technical leadership, product management, business development, program or project management, and/or operations experience
- Publications in peer reviewed journals
- Prior experience with academic grant funding process
- 3+ year experience presenting to technical and non-technical audiences
Worldwide Public Sector Business Development Manager for Genomics and Precision Medicine
Would you like to be a key part of the AWS worldwide public sector team focused on genomics/proteomics, precision medicine and other biomedical workloads in healthcare? As the worldwide business development lead for ‘omics you will have the opportunity to help develop and execute a strategy and open source solutions for these domains using the AWS cloud platform, working closely with public sector and commercial customers, engineering, solution architects and partners to drive innovation across the industry.
Advances in Biomedical Research/Genomics/Proteomics and access to phenomic and imaging data are accelerating the development of novel diagnostics and treatments as a cornerstone for delivery of personalized medicine and healthcare. AWS is looking for a Technical Business Development leader who understands technical, research, clinical, funding, and business trends and who has a passion to develop innovative solutions that solve the customer challenges.
The ideal candidate will have extensive research background, technical depth, translational experience and communication skills needed to work closely with scientists and clinicians and accelerate adoption of the AWS cloud. We are seeking an individual with the ability to think and write strategically and ultimately deliver results for the customer and AWS. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate their ability to build strong external and internal relationships across government, non-profit, academic and for-profit healthcare and research entities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Work with worldwide funding agencies such as the National Institutes of Health to help shape major policies, develop initiatives to encourage healthcare customers consider cloud platforms for their business.
- Seek out strategic opportunities to scale the healthcare community's adoption of cloud. You will help bring key customer signals to AWS development service teams and help prioritize systems, processes and product development that optimize the use of AWS services for healthcare.
- Develop close relationships with sellers within AWS public sector, including education, AMC, non-profit and healthcare to identify key accounts for strategic engagements.
- The ideal candidate will have a scientific, technical and business background, with experience working with the key leaders in funding agencies, university and non-profit organizations. You should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges, with the ability to build and convey compelling value propositions, and work cross-organizationally to build consensus. A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must.
- Candidates must have great communication skills and be technical, with the ability to impress AWS customers at any level, from executive to academic research communities. Domain experience in healthcare, life sciences and biomedical research is essential.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Build Go To Market strategies, manage opportunity pipelines, identify investment opportunities for key strategic ‘omic initiatives for worldwide public sector healthcare industry
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert for large sales ‘omics opportunities for Worldwide Public/Commercial sector Working with partners build repeatable solutions/initiatives in ‘omics serving the long tail of healthcare customers
- Have a deep understanding of the academic research cycle with a close familiarity of grants process and how it shapes the healthcare business
- Own dotted line of responsibility of overall ‘omics BD strategy across verticals
- Serve as a key member of the WWPS Healthcare Business Development team to drive overall AWS market and technical strategy for ‘omics and biomedical research.
- Lead the AWS team supporting large-scale scientific collaborations, serving as both the AWS technical expert and business lead for key projects.
- Represent AWS in leading industry and academic forums and support direct engagement with university PIs, as well as with the biomedical community.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
- 10 years of experience preferably working in the genomics industry
- Experience in creating and articulating compelling value propositions around technology solutions
- Knowledge of AWS services, market segments, customer base and industry verticals
- Demonstrated leadership skills are key, with proven verbal and written communications skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively across internal and external organizations
- Prior grant writing experience
- Prior experience with federal biomedical data sharing programs such as NIH Data Commons.
- Experience in big data analytics or machine learning applications for biomedical, healthcare or life sciences.
- Experience working in Business Development within a partner organization focusing on biomedical research industry.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.